Friday, September 01, 2006

Jendayi Frazer: On-the-Record Briefing on Sudan


by SOPnewswire

MR. MCCORMACK: Good afternoon, everybody. What I would like to do today is start the briefing off with two guest briefers, Assistant Secretary Jendayi Frazer, our Assistant Secretary for African Affairs. She can talk to you a little bit about her recent trip to Sudan. She just returned yesterday to the United States. And then also Assistant Secretary Kristen Silverberg, our Assistant Secretary for International Organization Affairs, and she can talk to you a little bit about and answer your questions concerning the resolution that was just passed up in New York regarding Sudan.

So without further ado I'll turn it over to them, and then afterwards we can return to any other questions you might have regarding other topics. So I'll turn it over to our two guest briefers.

ASSISTANT SECRETARY FRAZER: Thank you, Sean. And thank you all for being here. I'm going to brief a little on my trip to Sudan, from which I returned last night. I went to Khartoum to consult with the leadership of Sudan's Government of National Unity on shared goals of ending the Darfur crisis. My specific mission was to consult the Government of National Unity on the UN Security Council resolution and as a result of that consultation we were able to make some small changes in the draft to help address some of the concerns they raised.

I also passed President Bush's message to President Bashir...Read more >>>

No comments: